Real Health is more than eating a clean diet and regular exercise.
Have you ever been blind-sided by something out of your control? If you’re alive, the answer is “yes.” How did you handle it? Were your actions effective? Partially effective? Ineffective? What did you learn from your circumstance and your responses? Did it change the direction of your path?
The current COVID 19 pandemic with everyone observing government-mandated social distancing is one example of a stressful event occurring outside of our control.
We often wrestle with controlling the pieces of our lives.
Control is an illusion, self-control is power.
Attempting to control people in order to control outcomes interferes with achieving the results you desire.
You become a micromanager and experience all the stress associated with the illusion of control.
You aren’t actually producing anything measurable. Your outcomes become dependent on others doing things the way you imagine they should be done. You end up judging their actions.
Controlling others shifts focus from the one person you can control. YOU. People resent being controlled. It’s ineffective in work and business relationships and in relationships in general.
A short time ago in the early 90’s I was blindsided at work when...
About 3 weeks before Christmas, I was ‘let go’ from my job at a growing medical homecare equipment company along with two others.
The company wanted to be bought out by another company. To reduce overhead and make their income-expense ratios appear more favorable, they cut three of the top salaried positions. We were just numbers.
I wanted to say a few choice words to the person standing in front of me telling me this news. Instead, I stopped. What began as anxiety over my future gave birth to a sense of positive expectancy. I could design my own financial future. I didn’t need them or that crazy job.
I chose to believe God had something better for me. What “something better” looked like became a process of discovery. Over the next 20 years, by God’s grace, lots of hard work and a steep learning curve, I did just that.
The Main Factor Influencing Change in Your Life is….
Your Internal Dialog or Self-Talk.
Noticing the words you are saying to yourself and keeping that language positive and non-judgmental is the KEY. Whether you know it or not, your internal dialog or self-talk is constantly chattering.
It’s like a computer program continually running and programming your brain to feel, react and believe in response to what’s going on around you. The words you say to yourself in your mind to develop neuropathways which impact your behavior going forward.
We recently discovered a life changing ‘Rewiring Your Mind For Wealth’ video training series. Mind models help people make small shifts in thinking that enables you to get clarity. To get unstuck and going again, schedule a free wellness consult with Patty RN.
Words Have Great Power… Are You Using Them To Your Advantage
Positive feeling words, for example; excited, encouraged, hopeful, love, happy, glad, overcomer, persistent, possibilities, good news and breakthrough produce peace, hope and assurance. Even in the midst of the unexpected, we can live effective lives and make choices to move forward.
Negative feeling words, for example; depressed, angry, frustrated, stymied, blocked, harassed, pushy, insensitive, nobody, and uncaring ignite our emotions and create a stuck state making us ineffective and blocking forward movement.
What’s This Great ‘Tool’ Most People Don’t Fully Utilize?
Keys To Effective Change
A. Recognize Your Self-Talk:
- 1Become aware you have an internal discussion going on ALL the time in your brain.
- 2Since you have this self-talk going on all the time, start noticing it. Get connected with the ability to HEAR IT.
- 3Identify if it’s negative or positive. If it is negative, eliminate the critical, judgmental internal words.
- 4Look for truth instead of listening to lies or old messages. What is externally verifiable? Like looking at research data that tells a story.
- 5Begin evaluating what works, what doesn’t work and what you might do differently. You can disagree with the negative words you speak to yourself and replace the language with positive feeling words.
B. Practice Intentional, Supportive Self-Talk:
- 1Once you are aware of it, you will be able to hear your own self-talk.
- 2Next - Learn to notice and evaluate the self-talk going on in your brain.
- 3Write out 100 positive feeling words.
C. Direct Your Self-Talk Into Evaluation
- 1Consistently and intentionally call a time-out and STOP your self-talk when it becomes judgmental, critical and negative of anything or anyone including yourself.
- 2Intentionally direct your thoughts and words to evaluation of your current situation. Look at it as just information. That’s what it really is.
- 3Get curious. Ask yourself questions about you or your situation.
- 4As necessary, correct your self-talk and your spoken words throughout the day to create new habits. Keep it supportive, hopeful and grounded in the present. Use positive, supportive words.
D. The Desired Result of Reprograming Our Self-Talk Is…
To Change Our Behaviors!
- 1Behaviors provide data points. If we say we want x-y-z for our health, relationships or business, but our behavior / actions are not in alignment with the outcomes we desire, we will miss the mark.
- 2Behaviors, effective or ineffective, create movement toward or away from reaching our daily and long-term desired outcomes.
- 3Effective behaviors, when aligned with personal or business goals, are a HUGE piece of the success puzzle.
- 4When I practice evaluating my self-talk and my actions without judgment, I see what’s working and what isn’t. I am free to adapt.
When experiencing unexpected events outside of our control in any area of life including business - practice the principles outlined here.
To get good at most things takes practice, self-correcting and more practice to make the changes stick.
If you have questions, please schedule a call with me here: I would enjoy talking with you.
All change begins with a decision.
P.S. We got the Rewiring Your Mind For Wealth program and it was a huge answer to prayer. I don't know what else to say. It's changed us. Learn more here:Rewiring Your Mind For Wealth Here. It’s Master Mind level training! The training teaches you ‘how’ to think instead of ‘what’ to think. It’s highly effective and a rare find.